Skip to main content

7:14 Prayer Movement

source: AG.org

Praying and fasting for 8 days?

This is new to me.

All my life, I have told myself that I am not someone who has been given a gift to pray or fast. I am sure that I am more a doer than a prayer.

I'd go overseas to save the less fortunate people, I'd do anything to help people who are in trouble or in hunger. But sit down and stay at home and pray and fast, well, I always said "it's not for me!"

These previous weeks, my church, ICA, has been announcing that they'd take part of this 7:14 movement. When hearing it for the first time, I thought, never would I be able to do this. But I kept thinking about it. And the more interesting thing was my husband was also thinking of joining.

Fyi, he is even less of a prayer than I am. But thank goodness, we often remind each other. So when I don't feel like praying before going to bed, he'd wake me up and ask me to join in prayer. Or the other way around.

So, when I knew he was open for this idea of praying and fasting, we just had to take part. And we did!

So today is our second day.

The idea of this movement is to pray and fast for 8 days, from 7 - 14 April. We'd pray for 14 minutes every day, at 7:14 AM and 7:14 PM. We also will fast.

The fasting part is interesting. Again, I cannot fast. Nor could I go on diet either. If I fast or go on diet, I'd think about food all the time. Haha :) When I eat normally, I just don't think about food, sometime I even don't remember to have lunch or skip breakfast. Strange, ey?

So when fasting is part of the activity of this 7:14 movement, I thought, no way! I would not be able! But the pastor at ICA gave a different perspective on fasting. Fasting means to give up something that we love so dearly to be able to get closer to God. It's like a way of saying nothing is more important than God.

That was an aha moment for me! I knew what I loved so dearly that often came between me and God. Social media. Yes, as geeky as it may sound, I am addicted to social media. I cannot skip my rituals checking twitter. The first thing I do when I open my work computer is to check Facebook, I often go to my BBM just to check people's status.

This is what I will fast for these 8 days. As for Stefy, he is addicted to watching soccer. If he is not watching the live match, he will spend hours watching the highlights. So, this is what he'll give up for the next 8 days.

Interesting, no?

I hope we will make it until the 8th days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FENOMENA ACEH 07

Daster Batik Pagi itu Nie datang ke kantor disambut oleh kumpulan ibu-ibu yang tidak jelas dari mana dan mau apa. “Assalamualaikum” sapa Nie. “Waalaikumsalam” jawab kumpulan ibu-ibu itu serempak. Nie menyunggingkan senyum, berusaha menampilkan senyum yang termanis untuk mereka. Semakin aku masuk ke dalam kantorku, semakin banyak ibu-ibu yang duduk lesehan di depan kantorku. Nie bergegas masuk ke ruangan admin, ada Hetty dan Wardah di sana. “Dah, kenapa ada ibu-ibu itu di situ?” Nie bertanya ke Wardah asal muasal ibu-ibu itu. “Oh, Pak Welly menugaskan karyawan kita yang di lapangan untuk mencari ibu-ibu yang membutuhkan sumbangan baju daster. Ibu-ibu korban tsunami. Ya itulah, bu, ibu-ibu yang akan diberikan sumbangan baju daster.” Nie mencermati kumpulan ibu-ibu itu. Ada yang masih muda belia, ada yang sudah tua, entah apa rambutnya sudah putih semua karena uban, atau disemir hitam mengkilap. Aku tak tahu, karena semua ibu-ibu menutupi auratnya, dari kepala sampai ujung kaki. Jadi k...

What would you do if you could live another life

What would you do if you could live another life just for one day? This line is quoted from "Last Chance Harvey" . I have watched this film twice and still feel so touched everytime I watch it. Kate Walker, the main character in this film, uttered this question to Harvey Shine. In this story, both of them lived a life that is not very happy-chappy. Kate lived in a pathetic, boring life; Harvey in a screwed one. When Kate asked this question, both of them seem to ponder: what if I could live a different life, just for one day, just to try out. This question makes me ponder, too: what would I do if I was given a chance to live any kind of life I want, just for one day? Where would I be? What would I do? Who would I be? Lately I have been thinking about the life I am living right now. Everything is so well-planned. I graduated from high school, went abroad to study, came back home to work, went abroad again to do my master, working in a reasonably good organisation, and going ho...

Cold Feet

One of my closest friends is getting married tomorrow another one in May another one in November. and an ex-classmate is also getting married in April/May. and, I dreamed about getting married last night. I remember some months ago I was so enthusiastic with the idea of getting married. Although I knew that our relationship was not yet ready for that stage, I was so pushy to Stefy. I had asked him when exactly we would get married. Ah well, it was all the flashy things that I longed for. Right now, what I want is to avoid it! I am just not brave enough to throw myself into this new status. Don't get me wrong, I am probably just like any other girls out there who like the beautiful wedding gown, like to be made up, like to be the queen of the night. But, have you ever considered what would happen after you wave off the guests and head to your own home, starting your new chapter of life? or what would happen after the happy chappy honeymoon? Would we then live...