Skip to main content

When I'm 64

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now.
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine.


All of Beatles fans must know this song by heart. Not as much as I love this song, I hesitate to think of what I would be when I'm 64. Never have I ever felt afraid growing old, yet don't you ever ask yourself how you would be when you are 60+?

Would I be very dependant? Would I be a whinning, old grandma that your grandkids hate? Would I be useless or paralyzed? Would I be a fat, weak old lady? In fact, would I still be loved?

Would I still know and feel love?

This improper thought had been creeping to the surface due to the facts that my boyfriends' family (mostly the female ones) are getting old but still look fabulous: slim figure, shinny appearances, and fit! You must have seend Sex and the City right? You can see some similarities in my relative-in-laws. The pressure definitely exists!

Some years ago, when I met my boyfriend's relative for the first time, the first question she asked me NOT what kind of work I do, or what are my hobbies; she asked this exact following question: how much do you weigh? I was speechless for some split seconds. When I got my courage back, the question I asked was this: which weight? body weight?

Some days ago, this question was again thrown to my face; this time by my mother-in-law to be.

Sigh,...

I wouldn't worry too much if my boyfriend was different. My boyfriend is also very concern with his weight, body, and physical beauty. Not that he is a metrosexual (I would have left him a looong time ago if he was a metrosexual kinda man :p), yet, he lives healthily and dress properly. While some women might be crying to have this kinda man, I would say that I feel quite worried.

I am worried that one day I would not be pretty enough that I could make him proud of me. I am worried that one day I gain some kilos that would make him quite embarassed to stand next to me. I am afraid that one day I have some disabilities that could make him feel frustrated (if you live in the Netherlands, you should watch the trailer of "komt een vrouw bij de Dokter". This might give you some ideas about what I feel). The bottomline, I am afraid that one day he wouldn't love me enough that I would feel unloved.

I hope you would tell me that my thought are so very unreasonable that I should stop thinking about them; and start thinking about something else - like job hunting :P

Comments

wah..berat juga ya nia..I can understand you... tp dont worry..you are such an amazing, beautiful young woman... so for now, nothing to worry about...

tp emang later we have to put effort kalo mo stay young and slim..aku jg takut ni...mama e nic jg kurus dan masi funkehh..xD aku jg takut nti kalo dah pny anak jd ndut pie y..hihihi... mana ak jrg exercise lg.. :(

but for now.seize the day!!!

btw.. bagus kalo bang tepi peduli penampilan..it means that kalo km shopping plg ga di dukung ama dia... :)
Dina said…
wanita... worrying too much! hahhaa... no need to worry, nyokap lu skrg kaya' gmana sijh? nah... kaya' gitu juga nanti kalo kamu 'older', hehehe... *duh, smoga gak jauh beda dari kamu yang sekarang, hihihi...*
Oma Nia said…
@Dita: wakakaka, same problem ternyata. iyo, aku ga ada dana buat exercise dit. giling, sekali ngegym berapa coba! edan. aku kalo summer tok jogging, kalo uda winter gini, SEHARUSNYA berenang, heheheh, tapi kadang keluar rumah kena angin sepoi2 belanda, uda males duluan. hehehhe

@Dina: That's EXACTLY why I worry :( my mon is like THIS BIG. Hm,... she is not slim, I would say. Mampus ga! Sedangkan nyokapnya stefy, ........ (baca: very tiny, saking tinynya kamu ga bisa baca :P)

Popular posts from this blog

What would you do if you could live another life

What would you do if you could live another life just for one day? This line is quoted from "Last Chance Harvey" . I have watched this film twice and still feel so touched everytime I watch it. Kate Walker, the main character in this film, uttered this question to Harvey Shine. In this story, both of them lived a life that is not very happy-chappy. Kate lived in a pathetic, boring life; Harvey in a screwed one. When Kate asked this question, both of them seem to ponder: what if I could live a different life, just for one day, just to try out. This question makes me ponder, too: what would I do if I was given a chance to live any kind of life I want, just for one day? Where would I be? What would I do? Who would I be? Lately I have been thinking about the life I am living right now. Everything is so well-planned. I graduated from high school, went abroad to study, came back home to work, went abroad again to do my master, working in a reasonably good organisation, and going ho

WSAD? (What Should Ariel Do?)

As a communication expert, we always need to be prepared for crisis communication or disaster management. If a company suffered a bad publication, or when bad things happened, like with BP’s oil spill or Toyota’s cars, the communication people need to work very hard to communicate the right message (while some other people work on to make things right) and to win the public favour again. In theory, companies need to be prepared for crisis way in advance; however not many companies did that. I believe, Ariel had also never thought that such drama would happen, but yeah, here it is, and he has to face it! So, here is my humble opinion regarding what he needs to do to clear the air: Scenario 1: Launch a single/album Celebrities, especially musicians, usually would create a drama or scandal to increase their popularity in order to promote the next movie, single, or album that would be launched. What Ariel could do is to write a song (or an album) as soon as possible and launch it! And thee

Pluralism: My Version

plu`ral-ism (-noun) condition in which minority groups participate in society, yet maintain their distinctions. Today is Chinese New Year. Being Indonesian-Born-Chinese (IBC), my family has always been taking part in this celebration. No, we were not really doing the rituals, but as a child, I always had fun hunting Hung Bao (small amount of money put in an red envelop). Another memory about Chinese New Year is it was the time when my favorite cousines came from Malang. We would play; and they would possibly have sleepover. It was my childhood. However, I cannot recall what happened when I was slightly older. But I still remember that my mom told me to be an Indonesian. She would say "Nia, you are not Chinese. You are Indonesian." Or she would remind me that I have to respect Indonesian people in spite of their attitude toward ethnic Chinese. She said "We have a confusing story. If we would say we are Chinese, we would be kicked out from this country. Thus we would prob